Monday, March 19, 2007

A slight deviation from sports

I promise, this will be a small deviation. As the four year point of the war is here, I learned that an old aquaintance of mine has made it back to San Francisco alive and well. It has been what seems a lifetime ago since I saw Mike. Now that I think back, it has been 16 years since I have even seen any of the guys I grew up with in Lafayette, California. Regardless, I remember Mike and his family very fondly, and when my mother told me he was home safe, I was relieved.

On the other side of things, there are so many who are in Iraq fighting a war which seems to have no purpose. We are in a position where even President Bush's former supporters are now speaking out against our policies in the Middle East. This is not meant as an anti-war rant, it is meant as a simple statement to end the war now. I want all of the soldiers who are in Iraq to coin an old phrase to "Be Like Mike". In this case it isn't to be like Michael Jordan; it is to be like Dr. Mike Deboisblanc and come home from this pointless war in one piece.

More from the Sports Desk tomorrow.

No comments: