Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Another insomniac night

Ok, it is about 10:20, I should be asleep, but my semi-frequent bout of insomnia has hit. Anyhoo, when the insomnia hits, the fingers start writing.

I am a democrat, but am starting to lean more towards the center than I have in years past. What makes me think of this is the Sexual Violence and Protection Act that is before the House. More than anything in this world, the thought of someone harming a child in any way repulses me to no end. I have to applaud those in the Vermont House who are pushing for mandatory minimum sentences for those convicted of sexual assault on a minor. Jessica's Law calls for a minimum of 15-20 years for those convicted of aggravated sexual assault on a minor, the plan which should go through committee tomorrow will call for ten years. As much as I would like to see longer sentences, this is a step in the right direction. Those on the far left will criticize me for this, but I have my reasons.

1) Those who are convicted of these crimes do need rehabilitation, but they need to be kept away from children for a sustained period of time. The rate of recitivism for those without supervised treatment is high, and those who are in the community while being treated can still commit crimes against children. Keeping those individuals in prison while being treated will ensure that another child won't be harmed by the same individual.

2) The thought of someone harming my two adorable nieces out in California makes me ill. If someone was to harm Lucy or Janie, I would want that individual behind bars for many, many years. The psychologial trauma that a victim endures takes decades to get over; in many cases it cannot be undone. Those who commit these crimes need to pay for the life long damage that is inflicted on their victims.

Charity over at She's Right will laugh at the fact I am becoming more of a moderate, but it is true, it is actually happening. (By the way, I will link your blog, but I have to wait for my wife to get home from a business trip. I am a radio guy, I don't have a clue about HTML.)

Night all,

Fells

2 comments:

Charity said...

Ha, ha, ha! This is funny because I was just telling my husband last night when I was reading your comments on She's Right that you seem like you are getting more "moderate" every day. Actually, I think it's just that you do not deny reality to justify Democrat beliefs. That is a good thing.

Anonymous said...

This is an inevitable progression for any reasonable person once you move to Vermont. I'd be considered a liberal zealot in most states, but here I'm a full-on conservative.