Thursday, May 18, 2006

Clemens and Interleague play

Yes, I have been straying away from the news rants for a bit, but one of these days they will return. It is baseball season and life is good in the Fells house. Here is the latest......


Here is the question of the day……What in the world is going to happen with Roger Clemens, and why is this guy being allowed to dictate what days he pitches, and saying he won’t go to road games? Huh?? Now, if you have been living in a baseball vaccum for the last few months, Clemens is saying he is coming back, and is now stepping up his workouts for his anticipated return. All bets are that he will go home to play for Houston, but the Rangers, Yankees, and Sox are supposedly still in the running. Here is my question…..Why is a team willing to pay ten million dollars for a guy who will probably start only about 15 games or so? Man alive, per game he will make more than the gross national product of most countries. Per minute, he will make more than I do in a year!!! Is Clemens really worth it? Yes, he is a Hall of Fame pitcher, and will go down as one of the best to ever play the game, but that much money for a half season and 15 starts? He will pitch when he wants, and will be with the team when he wants. Man, I wish I could do that!! Hey boss, I think I will do my show once a month and get paid full salary for it. His reaction would be, don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split ya. Unreal…….


Next subject, interleague play. The Sox are in Philly this weekend, and the only thing I am looking forward to is seeing Papi play first base and seeing the Sox pitchers try to hit. At first, I thought it was a good idea and that interleague play would stir up some fan interest, but it really hasn’t. San Francisco is at Oakland this weekend, and the A’s aren’t unblocking seats in the upper deck as they are not anticipating any more fans than normal. By the way, this is with Barry flipping Bonds going for 714, but I went off about that last week, so I will refrain…..For now. I would rather see more games that matter, not Philly against the Sox, or Minnesota against Arizona. Give me more of the Sox against George’s boys, or the Cubs and the Cardinals. I would rather see more games between division rivals any day of the week. If I want to see another team play, I will turn on the tube and catch them on Extra Innings on cable.

No comments: