Sunday, March 19, 2006

Aren't gas prices high enough??

The increase in the fuel tax in Vermont has passed through the House and Senate, and needless to say, I am not the slightest bit happy about it.

Yes, roads in Vermont are horrible. I dodge about a few dozen potholes on my way to work in the morning, but there has to be a better way to fund improvments and repairs than yet another tax increase. When I took my wife to the airport yesterday, the avergage price of a gallon of gas was abour $2.45 or so. Needless to say, we cannot afford yet another hike in the price of fuel. There are those who are struggling right now to put gas in their tanks so they can simply get to and from work in the morning. This increase just makes things more difficult to do so.

Now, what do I see as the alternative? Well, I honestly don't know, as long as funding road repairs does not include the governor dipping into the education fund. What do y'all think?

2 comments:

Haik Bedrosian said...

Higher taxes hurt, but what could make more sense than taxing gas to fix the roads? The street I live on looks like a missile test site.

Fells said...

Ok, good point as mine looks as bad as I imagine yours. Here is the thing though, aren't fuel prices high enough as it is right now?

Here is a discussion point of sorts: What are the alternatives, if any? I do agree a fuel tax is the only logical choice, but there has to be another way.